Join Us on Zoom for Our Second GGFA Virtual Gathering
September 25, 2021 4:00 – 6:30 pm Eastern (US)
4:00-5:00 pm Eastern (US): “Origins of the Goff-Gough Surnames in the UK” – Norman Gough
- Norman will examine the supposed origins of the name Gough from goch, the Welsh word for “red”, and show the spread of the name along the borders between Wales and England. He takes the example of Sir Matthew Gough for whom he has discovered more than 500 descendants. Examples are presented of large family branches in Gloucestershire, Staffordshire, Wiltshire, Somerset, and Ireland, and he looks at the possibility of discovering more about Gough/Goffs who left Britain to settle in other countries.
Norman Gough descends from Gough ancestors in North Wales and now lives near Wolverhampton in the centre of England. He was a professor of systems engineering, specialising in AI applications, and hosted Goff-Gough web pages soon after the WWW was first developed. After retirement he became interested in the use of DNA in genealogy, which prompted him to join the GGFA. He has studied the history of well-known Gough families and written two large volumes on family history in Finland.
15 min break, or chat time
5:15 – 5:30 pm Eastern (US): “Overview of our new GGFA Webasite Full Text Search Feature” – Bob Inhoff, GGFA Webmaster
5:30-6:30 pm Eastern (US): “Instant Goff/Gough Family Tree” presented by Phil Goff, GGFA DNA Coordinator, Davidson, NC
- Explore how your AncestryDNA, 23andme or MyHeritage Autosomal DNA kit can instantly connect you to one of the 30+ known Goff/Gough genetic families. Please contact us before September 25, 2021 at email@example.com if you have an autosomal DNA kit for a male Gough/Goff relative that you would like to instantly connect to the correct Gough/Goff family. In Q&A we will take any DNA question about your Goff/Gough family.
Phil Goff has lead our GGFA DNA project since 2004 and has published several articles about his discoveries. He is the co-author, along with Roy L. Lockhart, of The Four Goff Brothers of Western Virginia. A past President of GGFA, Phil also currently serves as Treasurer of our Association.
✤ Who can attend?
- Anyone with an interest in the history of families with all variants of the Gough and Goff surnames.
- For current GGFA members, the conference is free.
- Not yet a member, but would like to attend? Become a new member today by clicking here, and then register for the GGFA Virtual Gatherings.
✤ Other Information
- We will use Zoom for our virtual gathering. We are asking members to please register before the meeting to help us plan and so that we can send you the link to access the meeting.
- If you are not familiar with using Zoom for video conferences, you can also indicate on the registration form that you would like to receive some information on how to use it.
- To register, please click on the “Register Now” link below.